Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Mountain Man's Baking Mix for pancakes, waffles, and biscuits

The Mountain Man's Baking Mix
for pancakes, waffles, and biscuits

My dad's baking mix is the same mix he's been using for years, and it really is the best from-scratch mix I've had. What I like about it is that it can be prepared in a storage container or bag ahead of time so it's ready right when I need it. I made the pancakes yesterday for lunch, and they were really great! They were a piece of cake to...um, no pun intended! I know, that was a terrible non-joke! Well let me get to the recipe itself. You'll notice there's no sugar in this one. He says that the sugar interferes with the taste of the actual food. I made mine without the sugar and they were fine, but if you have to have it in yours, don't add more than 1 tablespoon for each cup of flour.

This mix makes about (4) 5" pancakes or 2 large waffles, so double, triple, or whatever you need to do for your family.
1 c flour (whole wheat, white, or combination)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp baking soda
* If you need to, you can substitute the tartar and baking soda for 1 tsp of baking powder.
Whisk ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly combined.

For pancakes add:
1 beaten egg
2 TBSP cooking oil
3/4 c milk

For waffles add:
2 beaten eggs
2 TBSP cooking oil
3/4 c milk

For biscuits add:
2 TBSP cooking oil
3/4 c milk

My dad says to: Stir with a rubber/silicone spatula until just mixed. Don't overmix. It's okay to have some lumps in there (mine had plenty, but it didn't matter). Make sure you have enough milk so that when you pour it into the waffle iron, it just pours. It shouldn't be thick enough to need to spread it. 

1 comment:

  1. I demonstrate this mix at my Tupperware shows! I absolutely love it for everything. Did you know that if you store it in a Modular Mate, it will last for at least a year. They are currently 40% off http://www.my2.tupperware.com/lorrieeubanks (hope you don't mind me posting that but it does have to do with being frugal) if it's not permitted please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...