Friday, December 3, 2010

Baking Bagels!!

While Amber napped, I baked bagels for the first time! I was browsing through my cookbook earlier in the week and saw a recipe for them and for the first time, I realized that I could make my own instead of paying for them! There are a few steps involved in the baking process, which includes broiling, simmering in sugar water, and then baking. They were pretty simple to make though, and I didn't have to let them rest or rise as long as bread needs. Kneading the dough takes less time as well. I ended up burning the tops of them a little during the broiling process (got a little distracted - big no no when broiling), but they are a hit in this house with my 3 year old bread lover and by my 11 year old son. Here's the recipe I used in a nutshell, retrieved from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book:


4 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 package of active dry yeast
1 1/2 Cups warm water
1/4 Cup sugar
1 TBSP salt

1) Combine 2 cups of flour and the yeast in a large bowl, then add warm water, 3 tbsp sugar, and salt. Beat with a mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then 3 minutes on high, scraping bowl the entire time. Stir in as much of remaining flour as you can.

2) On lightly floured surface, knead dough and remaining flour until it moderately stiff and elastic (about 6-8 minutes). Cover and let rest 10 minutes.

3) Quickly divide dough into 12 portions. Shape portions into balls and with a floured finger, poke a hole through each one to make a 2 inch hole. Place on a greased baking sheet, cover, let rise for 20 minutes (begin timing with shaping of first bagel).

4) Broil bagels about 3 minutes, turning halfway through. The tops should NOT be browned. Boil 6 cups of water and the rest of the sugar in a dutch oven. Reduce heat to simmer. Place bagels, about 4-5 at a time in the water for about 7 minutes and simmer. Drain on paper towels then place on greased baking sheet. Bake for about 25-30 minutes in oven preheated to 375. Makes 12 bagels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...